Monday, August 15, 2011

Road-trippin'! Part V - Acadia!

"If you moved here, I'd come visit you."

Tom told me that a few hours into Maine, and I think that sums up Maine in one sentence.  Driving through the winding forest roads with the windows down and seeing the vast ocean open up right in front of your eyes is definitely a sight to behold.  Maine just has a different, relaxing, wonderful feel to it.  It was one of four states I had not previously visited, and now it ranks right up there with my favorites.  I wish we could've spent a bit more time in the land of lighthouses, but we were provided just a teaser, making us want to return again and again.
Here is my teaser for what we saw in Maine:
Booth Harbor lighthouse 



Island of Malaga, in Phippsburg - super sad history surrounds this island - I read about it in a book, "Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy",  by one of my favorite authors, Gary D. Schmidt.  After reading the book, I had to visit.

Next are a few pics from our aerial tour of Acadia National Park.  Sadly, it was raining as we drove around the park that morning, knowing we couldn't get in a plane with the storm.  We got soaked as we walked in to the Visitor's Center, and when we left, just 20 minutes or so later, the sun was shining and the clouds had left.  We called up the agency and were in the plane as quickly as we could get to the airstrip!  The view was simply spectacular!  I'd drive clear to Acadia again just to do this flight.








I couldn't leave Maine without sampling their lobster, and it didn't disappoint :)

Also, the sunset that evening was stunning!  This was our view for a good 25-30 minutes :)





Maine - thoroughly enjoyed :)

No comments: