Monday, August 8, 2011

Road-trippin'! Part IV - Boston!

At this point in the road trip, driving is still fun, so we take our time going through Massachusetts, staying pretty close to the coast, stopping to enjoy the view, and I even got to go to the beach!  Cape Cod boasts some of the prettiest sitting beaches in the States, and I gotta admit, the one I went to was pretty.  The water was west coast warm, and the day couldn't have been more perfect - even got a game of horseshoes in!  I later found out that Cape Cod was host to a couple great-white shark sightings, even one on the day I was there!  Kinda sad I missed it.  


Went up the coast to Plymouth, home of the rock!  It also has a nice replica of the Mayflower II - I have like 13-18 ancestors who came over on the original Mayflower so I'd throw out names and the historians had a blast telling me about my past :)


Up next - Boston!  I gotta admit, Boston is a pretty cool place - I liked the feel of it, there's just so much history!  And since I'm nerdy and like that history stuff, we were lucky to get M.C. History as our tour-guide for our DUCK tour.  

The DUCK!




Piece of the Berlin Wall


After a stomach-busting dinner at Tom's cousin's, we checked into the hotel in Cambridge, and somehow the toilet paper kept flying across the room - it was just one of those unexplainable phenomena.  And in the morning the towels weren't working, so I had to dry off with only the hair dryer.  That took FOR-E-VER!  

But I finally dried off to go out into the rainy Boston day.  I'm glad it wasn't rainy and foggy on the night of April 18, 1775 at Old North Church like it was this day, cause no one would have known which way the Regulars were coming.. Old Harbor was much the same way, drizzly and cold.  Fenway, though I'm no fan of the BoSox, is a gorgeous park!  I liked it enough to almost buy some Red Sox garb, but not quite.  

The Green Monster!
My true colors- Go Yanks!
At the Boston Temple, I met a super nice lady, who was willing to tell me the history of the sculptor of the Angel Moroni.  She even knows where I grew up, in Pleasant Grove.  It seems that at every temple I visit, the world seems really small, I love it.


Lexington and Concord - learning about that first battle was awesome.  USA! USA! 


Boston - conquered :)


No comments: