Monday, June 7, 2010

Shirts and Skins

Whoever it was that came up with the idea, 'Shirts and Skins', for men playing sports, was a genius.  It works with so many sports as the easiest way to differ between teams: soccer, ultimate frisbee, flag football, quidditch for muggles, water polo, airsoft/paintball :) j/k, lacrosse, etc.  But I played one where it didn't really work for me anymore.  Bright and early this morning, at 6:00, I went to a stake center across town to play some basketball..  I walked in, saw about 15 guys, of all ages and sizes, warming up and shooting hoops.  I saw a few tall guys, so I decided to stay and give it a shot.  Once they had divided up the first teams, 5 guys took off their shirts.  This was not a pretty sight - none of them had showered and some were already sweaty before even playing.  On my very first defensive play, a skin ran into me and now, I had his sweat all over me before I had even started my own sweating.  Part of the game, right?  I paid no attention to it, until I was posted up by a rather portly man with a water fountain coming out of his back.  That's what it seemed like anyway, as he was drenched in sweat.  He could've pulled up his shorts, too.  Well, needless to say, throughout the two games I played, I collected the sweat of at least 8 different skins.
In the good old days, when basketball wasn't such a contact sport, I was fine with playing shirts and skins, but now, if you're not bumped or rubbed, checked or charged every other play by a guy on the other team, it's not basketball.  There was so much closeness and contact it reminded me of being in an overstuffed club.  Now don't get me wrong, a little male bonding now and again is great, I had a fun time playing, but I just think it's more appropriate to use a towel instead of my shirt to wipe off your sweat.  Next time, if there is a next time with this group, I might just play in a bathrobe.

No comments: