Monday, June 28, 2010

First Impression

          --map showing only Moscow proper--
Humongous.  That's the first word I think of when I think of my new surroundings in Moscow, Russia.  I've lived in some pretty large cities, like Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., but they pale to me in comparison to Moscow.  I didn't realize just how huge this place was until I was flying around it on my Singapore Air flight a few days ago.  Looking out the window down onto Moscow, I could not even see the middle of the city, and the buildings stretched as far as the eye could see.  Little did I realize then, but I was looking down into a labyrinth - a maze of streets, metro lines, and rivers leading to and fro.  As I've begun exploring the labyrinth,above and below the surface, I notice just how many people there are.  They are everywhere!  It seems like I am am always walking around someone on the sidewalk, or in the grocery store, the plaza, the metro, or crossing the street.  Crossing the street is a whole nother matter entirely - the drivers here are reckless, with little to no regard for anything or anyone else.  Cars are cut off all the time (which means horns are non-stop blaring), the white lines on the road mean nothing as a 4-lane road is turned into a 6-laner, stoplights hold little sway, and the sidewalks aren't even safe for walking, because the cars drive there, too!
 Along with the crowds comes a constant noise, yet you can't pinpoint it to just one thing, the masses certainly make noise, but the vehicles and all the construction going on contributes as well.  The minute I walk outside it reminds me of a 2010 World Cup match, with those annoying horns blowing every second of every game.  It's just constant noise that you can't escape!  So all I do to 'escape' the noise is cover it up with more noise.  I'm glad I brought my iPhone and my in-ear headphones, they are keeping me sane.  But I may need a bigger playlist, I'm thinking about the size of Moscow.

1 comment:

Diamond Dann said...

That sounds pretty awesome! I would love to go there sometime. Maybe in a year or two if you are up for it again.